So, the last time I wrote, we were finishing up at the ‘hobby house’ for the winter and making plans – are we going south or are we staying in Canada for the winter while I receive some sort of treatment. Cancer is an awful word and keeps your mind buzzing with the ole what if’s. We have had family and friends that have gone through Cancer treatments and are now survivors! We have a good friend in Georgia that is going through the stages now and we are hoping and praying that he too will come out the other side as a survivor. We are at the decision point – do we go to California as planned or do we go to the Plantation and fly to Los Angeles for our cruise. There is a cut off point as we do not want to have to drive hard to get there on time. The original plan was to drive leisurely , stop to visit some of our ‘bucket list’ locations and do the touristy thing. The longer the Prostrate issue takes, the less chance we will be able to make the drive we planned.
The plus side of waiting was we were invited to join Corrie and her family for the annual Christmas Tree hunt. It was a great day, Corrie goes to one of the tree farms that we used to go to when we had a house. I thought I knew the way and soon we were lost in a subdivision that wasn’t there 15 years ago! Anyway, we made it and then enjoyed the hunt. Once felled, we all climbed back on the ‘hay wagon’ to go back to the bonfire to warm up and enjoy a hot chocolate or cider. Of course, the kids had to eat – someone saw hot dogs. After, Corrie had us back for a late lunch and refreshments. We used to do this each year and it was great to see this tradition being carried on with her family.
I have an appointment with a Urologist to get a more accurate diagnosis. When we walks into the exam room, he says ‘drop ‘em and bend over the table’. Then I hear the snap of his exam glove and the rest is just a blur. I was concerned that he had left his watch on – I didn’t want to be like the gator in Peter Pan! Anyway, he said the Prostrate seemed normal but he wanted me to take another blood test but I had to wait 4 or 5 days for better accuracy. Again, we wait. We wait for the blood test appointment then for the results. Wait, wait, wait. And of course, you know what the mind is doing. I had to call the doctors office several times almost to the point that I felt like I was harassing them. Finally at 7:30AM on Thursday, Dec 12, the doctor called to say that all is good but he needs to see me in 6 months. Now, doesn’t that leave it in a gray area?
So now we have a green light to head south. Barb & I feel that it would not be fun to drive hard to get to LA so we decided that we would go home to the Plantation. Since we’re heading that way, why not take a detour and visit with Jim & Lydia for a couple of days. We find out that Jim is having a busy week medically but we could see him for part of Tuesday if we leave Sunday morning to get there in time. I have to make a few calls to cancel our satellite internet service, our Canadian cell service and adjust our travel insurances. It was a busy couple of days, packing up, and making calls. Terri and our great nephew, Nick, stopped by on their way to their cabin for skiing to say bye.
Watching the weather, we decide that Sunday was the better departure day but what we didn’t expect was the 12 inches of snow that was dumped on us on Saturday! On Sunday, Dec 15th, I tried moving the truck to hook it up but got stuck so we wait again for the campground to dig us out. They finally got us clear at 5PM on Sunday so Barb & I hooked up and flipped the rig around so we had a straight drive out in the morning.
Finally, at 7:30AM on Monday Dec 16th, we’re on the road – clear skies and dry roads, this was going to be a nice ride except of course, we were not able to do the detour to see our dear friends. We had planned on getting away ASAP and stopping at Tim’s for breakfast – what, you don’t have any eggs but we can have all the egg whites we want! It’s only 8:30 in the morning, and they are out of eggs.
Back on the road and all was great until we were about 40 miles from the Sarnia – Port Huron border crossing and bam, we are right in the middle – at least that is what we thought – of a complete white out! Soon we are thinking we should turn around and cross at Windsor – Detroit but what’s to say that route isn’t also getting this blizzard. We press on at much lower speed for what seemed like an hour then voila, we’re under clear skies again about 10 miles from the border. The roads were wet but passable. The border crossing was quick and we’re on our way through Michigan. It was cold but clear skies and for the most part, the roads were good – hey, they’re Michigan roads, everything was well shaken by the time we stopped.
We made it to the flying J at Indianapolis for the night. The drive into Indianapolis was a bit harry – it was getting dark and it was rush hour, everyone else knew exactly where they were going and didn’t have patience for old people in an RV! It’s been a number of years since Barb and I have departed Canada this late and didn’t expect frozen water lines when we reached our night stop! We’re both hoping that it wasn’t a hard enough freeze that we’re replacing pipes when we get into the Plantation!
Not much else weird or too exciting happened from here so until next time, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to y’all!